Thursday, January 21, 2016

Introducing Ella!

Hello world! Let me introduce you to Ella, who was delivered to us on Christmas Eve!

Or should I say we delivered her on Christmas Eve?

It has been fun getting to know her over the last four weeks. Gosh - I can't believe it's already been four weeks. She happens to be the why this wasn't posted sooner. Somehow that human being knows just when I sit down to drink coffee, start reading work emails, or eat any meal and instantly needs attention. A blog post hasn't been a priority, but I'm ok with that. It's more fun to play with her than to write and each day we learn a little more about each other than the day before.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I'm not as tired as everyone warned that I would be. Thankfully, Tom is a really awesome Dad and partner to have during this time and we seem to be making a good team. It's unfortunate that he had to go back to work this week because we had a good system going for the first three weeks. His new name is the "Baby Whisperer" and if I can't get her to stop crying all he has to do is pick her up and she stops. I wish I had his magical touch.

At her two week appointment

While I love reading other birth stories, I won't record  all of the details of her birth on here. However, here are a few details from the day she was born. 
  • I was out helping Tom with yard work on Christmas Eve because it was a whopping 67 degrees! I joked that it would probably be the day that I do go into labor since I was doing something insane like being a 40-week-and-5-days pregnant lady outside with hedge trimmers. 
  • I suspected I was getting contractions during a walk we took that afternoon, but didn't really believe it because they started in my quadriceps, not actually my abdomen. It turns out that each contraction would start that way for the rest of the night. 
  • Real contractions actually began around 6:00 pm and were 5 minutes apart very quickly. 
  • At 8:00pm contractions were 2-3 minutes apart. I lasted 20 minutes before calling the midwife back to tell her I was heading to the hospital. 
  • Shortly after  9:00 pm we were in the hospital.  She was ready to come and I was more than ready to be done. I'd say that I have pretty high pain tolerance, but with that fast of a labor, I found it difficult to deal with the rapid increase in pain. I knew it would be painful, but I suspect that if labor had been more "typical" of a first time labor then I would have had some time to adjust to the increasing pain levels.  People asked if I had an epidural and the answer is: No - I don't think I would have had time to get it unless I had asked immediately upon arrival at the hospital. And in case you were wondering, it is definitely more painful to give birth than to run a marathon. Nothing quite compares. 
  • I thought the midwife was joking when she asked if I was ready to have this baby (aka start pushing) after not being at the hospital for more than 1.5 hours.
  • I'm still amazed at what the human body does. Somehow it knows how to grow a human being and then "spit it out", and somehow that little human knows how to function. How on earth do they know where to latch on for milk when they've never experienced the world? 
Recovery has been going well. Immediately I felt like I had a clearer head and I no longer felt the urge to have coffee like I had for the last few months. I also went back to actually wanting salad on a daily basis like before I was pregnant, and would say that I overall am craving more fruits and vegetables. My body must know that it needs these things to keep the both of us fueled.

Ella at two weeks

While running is still a few weeks away, I signed up for my first "race", the Half Marathon Unplugged in April. Maybe it's too ambitious but I have no time goals, only to get my butt out the door. Actually, it's not as ambitious as it could have been - a few months ago I was still considering doing Boston! We also got a treadmill last week so I'm starting my core workouts and walking some each day to build up to being able to run again. 


  1. Ella is so stinkin cute!! I am so incredibly happy for you and Tom. You will LOVE the Half Unplugged. I did it last year and had a great time. I've contemplated signing up this year again, but haven't decided yet. Enjoy all of your wonderful time with Ella!

  2. Beautiful post. Thank you for the update! Love you all!

  3. She is so adorable and I am so happy for you and Tom. Beautiful little one and she is lucky to have 2 active healthy parents!