A few weeks ago I made this braided cushion out of old t-shirts. They were in good condition, but I couldn't see anyone at Good Will wanting an old running shirt or a Hannaford t-shirt. It seems like every time I run a race I get a new shirt and no one needs 40 t-shirts. This was a great project that freed up some space in my dresser.
Since that post, a few people have asked for a tutorial. Today I made another braided rug/cushion so I could show you how to do it!
1. Grab three old t-shirts. If you want to make a rug (larger than the seat cushion above) you'll need at least 6 shirts. You'll also need a ruler and a good pair of scissors.
2. Cut the top of the shirt off. Start at one armpit and cut across to the other armpit.
3. Make a 2-cm slit on one side of your t-shirt, two inches from the left side. Continue to make 2-cm slits every two inches apart. Use a ruler as your guide. If you want to make a coaster or something smaller, then I would recommend one-inch spaces, which creates a thinner yarn.
4. When you get to the bottom of the t-shirt, cut off the seam/folded over part.
You should have one large, folded piece of t-shirt. It almost resembles a pillow case, which could also be used in this project!
An example of the slits
5. Using your 2-cm slits as guides, cut panels in the t-shirt, but DO NOT cut all the way to the other side. Leave about a 1.5 inch of uncut t-shirt at the top, as shown below.
Your t-shirt should now look like this, still connected on one side.
6. Open your t-shirt and start on the right hand side. Cut a diagonal slit that goes from the bottom, right hand-side of one panel, across to the top of the other panel. This will create one continuous piece of fabric. I can't quite figure out how to explain this step, so leave a comment if you need clarification. It's also helpful to practice on a piece of paper or a paper bag before doing this step. The key thing to keep in mind is that you want ONE piece of fabric, not many. If you end up messing up and cut the fabric too soon, you can fix the mistake by sewing the pieces together.
7. Your t-shirt should now resemble this continuous strand of fabric.
7. Find one end of your t-shirt and hold with both hands. Pull taunt. This will "curl" the fabric to create your yarn.
An example of curled fabric on the left, versus the fresh cut fabric on the right.
9. Keep pulling the fabric until it is all curled.
10. Roll into a ball
The more colors/t-shirts you have, the more options you have for your seat-cushion or rug!
11. Some may choose to sew the pieces together, however, I just knotted the ends of three pieces of t-shirt yarn to get started. I take the knot apart when I sew the cushion together. This of course, is after the rug is completely braided.
12. Start braiding until you reach the end of your balls of t-shirt yarn! Be careful! These balls of yarn tangle very easily. I found that the best way to keep them from getting tangled is to move each ball side to side, every time I add a new layer to the braid.
|Wilson absolutely loves the balls of yarn|
13. Once you reach the end, tie your yarn into a knot. Don't worry about tying it tight. Once you start sewing you will need to be able to take the knot apart.
14. Warning: You'll need thread and a needle for the next part! Start in the middle of your rug/cushion and use a straight stitch to sew the sides of the braids together. You can create a circular shape, oval, or even a square. I did this by hand, but some people may be able to figure it out on a sewing machine (which I don't have!). When you get to the very end of your rope, untie the knot and sew the yarn into the bottom of the rug/cushion.
Please let me know if you have any questions or if you make a rug/cushion of your own! I'd love to see what others create with t-shirt yarn!
I can't wait to do this! Do you mean 2 inch strips, or is it really cms? Cms just seem so small!ReplyDelete
The strips should be 2 inches wide. I cut a 2cm slit the shirt before cutting the full strips to mark the two inches, instead of using a pencil to mark them. You could always use a pencil instead, and make marks on it every two inches.Delete
In any case, this can be balanced by the utilization of strength froths and gel; while more costly, they cushion more successfully than standard froth while lessening the general stature. Housewife pillow protector waterproofReplyDelete
This was really interesting info in this blog that to very happy for the nice technology in this blog about office chair cushion...... best seat cushionReplyDelete
An essential hotspot for the gathering of people that makes the peruser stride by step.ReplyDelete
I love significantly your own post! I look at all post is great. I discovered your personal content using bing search. Discover my webpage is a great one as you.I work to create several content this post. Once more you can thank you and keep it create! Enjoy! 100 silk pillowcaseReplyDelete
If you don't have your own store, you can print t-shirts with your own design - even your own style of graffiti - and offer them for sale in retail stores. teeriptReplyDelete
I've seen some zombie t-shirts where you can actually observe the cerebrums dribbling out of the edge of their mouth's!giftsReplyDelete
On the off chance that you have any t-shirts that are just to worn and stained, simply cut them or shred them and turn them into shops rags. Shop rags prove to be useful for messy spills in your carport.KinderschoenenReplyDelete
I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. Job t-shirtReplyDelete
Much appreciated such a great amount for this data. I need to tell you I agree on a few of the focuses you make here and others might require some further survey, however I can see your perspective. best t shirts for men and womenReplyDelete
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own Blog Engine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it. manst shirtReplyDelete
Very informative post ! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign ! steampunk mugsReplyDelete
There is no setup involved. Custom Iron On Patches Unlike screen printing there is no additional preparation needed in the printing of digital T-Shirt transfers.ReplyDelete
I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. custom shirt makerReplyDelete
I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed... T shirtReplyDelete
Chronicled specialists characterize the principal recorded episode of the acquaintance of the T-shirt with the United States happened during World War One when US fighters commented upon the light cotton undershirts European troopers were given as standard uniform. https://teedoris.com/product/adidas-hoodie/ReplyDelete
Be that as it may, by the last part of the 60's the dimness of the Hippy age had made the creatively colored shirt. Leslie Jean DesignsReplyDelete
Individuals who challenge governments nowadays keep their mottos near their heart - that is they print the trademarks on the T-shirt. celebrities leather jacketReplyDelete
This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. www.luminousprinting.com.sg/ReplyDelete
There are different styles in the shirts fastening. Plain front style is the point at which the shirt's sides meet up in a plain style with no additional items. mens leather jackets uk saleReplyDelete
Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return. Football T Shirt DesignsReplyDelete
I got too much interesting stuff on your blog. I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work. Calvin Klein Boxers SaleReplyDelete
Your write up is a fine example of it. southside serpents jacket womensReplyDelete
What's more, for perhaps the best wellspring of custom shirt printing around, you can look at Budget Apparel. Cool Printed TeesReplyDelete
Nice article thank you for this. Check the Kenya visa on arrival requirements before you apply for the Kenya visa through online visa application. The e visa application offers the fast visa services. Thank youReplyDelete
Very interesting, you are doing a good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog. Your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it. Keep it up. Apply for frro visa extension if you want to extend your visa with hassle free process of online e visa compared to regular visa.ReplyDelete
I definitely enjoy every little bit of it. This is a great website and good stock.I want to thank you. Apply Online emergency visa to India, Fill and online Submit Visa Application Form Securely via India visa website.ReplyDelete
I appreciate your work, you have done your work very nicely. Now I am informing you that the Indian tourist visa processing time takes 3-5 working days.ReplyDelete
This is one of the best golf gifts for men who would love to brag about their golf scores among his friends and associates while at work. Golf wear for menReplyDelete
These hats have a separate fanbase among the youth and there are certain fashion icons who have accepted these hats as a part of their daily outfit. bulk buy t shirtsReplyDelete
Yellowstone season 4 john dutton quilted jacketReplyDelete
Women find this style very sexy, as you look like a casual guy who can haul in wood if needed. Short sleeve polo's are the casual polo shirts in men's fashion, but by clarification polo is any shirt but a t-shirt or tank top, as they usually are fabricated from a knit material and have short collars. bulk t shirtsReplyDelete
This however may not apply to orders that are going to be screen printed or embroidered. This is because the company will have to ship the order 2 times. Replica Sneaker best qualityReplyDelete
I will be capable of suggest typically top quality and in some cases responsible items, eventually observe that: printing asiaReplyDelete
This is a great blog post. I can't wait to read more. Thank you.emergency visa to India, You can fill your emergency Indian visa application form and get your visa within 1 to 3 business days.ReplyDelete
Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed! Keep stuff like this coming. excellentcustomclothingReplyDelete
superb, I am very happy after reading this amazing blog on this website. Saudi Arabia travel visa Is one of most demanding travel visas in the world . According to a Wikipedia report Saudi Arabia is the second biggest tourist destination in the Middle East with over 16 million visiting in 2017.ReplyDelete
This is really a very nice blog, I really appreciate all your efforts, thank you so much for sharing this valuable information with all of us. If you are willing to travel to Pakistan, everything is online nowadays. Now you can apply for Pakistan tourist visa. No need to visit any embassy & consulate. You can check on our website.ReplyDelete
Thanks For sharing! clayton tree careReplyDelete
Thank you for such valuable sharing.ReplyDelete
Thanks so much for this. www.manhattanbeachtree.comReplyDelete
Thanks so much for this.ReplyDelete
Its a great sharing.ReplyDelete
stump removal service
This is awesome!! davis tree careReplyDelete
stump removal company
This is decent and educational blog pleasanton tree serviceReplyDelete
thanks for sharing more infoReplyDelete
this is great poway tree serviceReplyDelete
really great www.stantontreeservice.comReplyDelete
Really nice and interesting post www.lewisvillegutter.comReplyDelete
interesting post harbor city tree serviceReplyDelete
Great info. tree removal companyReplyDelete
such a useful content. san ramon tree serviceReplyDelete