I randomly get cravings for zucchini bread, but they usually occur throughout the summer when zucchini is in season. That wasn't the case this weekend.
I ended up working at Hannaford both Saturday and Sunday. Everyone was buying zucchini and summer squash. Why? Because it was 99 cents/lb! After coming to that conclusion, I decided to make zucchini bread! I decided to try a new recipe. Life gets boring if you use the same one time after time.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup chocolate chips (more or less for your liking)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of 5x9 inch bread pan.
2. Grate zucchini and add brown sugar, olive oil, yogurt, and egg. Mix well.
3. Mix dry ingredients (all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg)
4. Add dry ingredients to bowl of wet ingredients and mix. Add chocolate chips and mix.
5. Pour mixture into the greased loaf pan. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a toothpick through the center comes out clean.
I enjoy this recipe quite a lot. The bread was super moist and the chocolate chips made it a great dessert. It was a bit dense, so it filled me up quicker than other breads. I would definitely make this recipe again, but maybe bake it a few minutes longer (as a personal preference for not-so-moist-bread).