And then Philadelphia opened up 3,000 spots for NYC Marathon refugees and had a lottery to determine those that would be lucky enough to race.
So I entered without thinking. Actually, my thinking was "aw I'll never get in." I pressed the "send" button with 8 minutes to spare before the deadline.
Then I realized, "uh oh. 3,000 Runners? Crap. I'll probably get in. I don't know how many NYC refugees are ready and willing to travel so soon to Philly"
And Friday, almost a week to the minute after I found out that NYC was cancelled, I found out I got into Philadelphia.
I now have two options:
Option #1. I stay here next weekend and run the Potomac race. I don't have to travel. I get to sleep in that morning. Get to go home right after. I'll have a chance to be in the top (only if everything goes well). But have to run an out and back twice on trail - which I'm not a huge fan of but could deal with. I'll save travel money, but would lose out on $200 from the Philly entry (I wouldn't feel that bad about it because $100 of it goes to the Red Cross)
Option #2. I go to Philly. Race what I hear is an awesome course and race. Get to see a new city, but spend 5 hours in the car (there and back) and money on a hotel. Then get to wake up at 4 or 4:30 to get to the start for 6:00 even though the race doesn't start till 7. Then not have the weekend here to plan for school. But wait, we have two days of school next week before Thanksgiving. OK I think it would work out.
Right now I'm leaning toward Philly. It is just very random and not like me to spontaneously sign up for a race without seriously considering it for 24 hours. No matter which race I choose, there will always be a part of me that wonders what could have happened at the other race. I'll let you know what the final verdict is as soon as I know.