(April 28th, 2010)
If it wasn't for a very embarrassing ordeal a week and a half ago involving the heat shield falling off, I wouldn't have known that the car needed $1400 in repairs. $1400 is almost 5 times more than what Kelley Blue book says it's worth, so sadly, it was time to say goodbye.
My dad and brother came down last Wednesday night to bring it back to Milton. They'll put some work into it and sell it. As I watched them drive it away, I couldn't help but think of the things that I had to put up with for the last four years - and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to miss any of them!
- This car was built for someone 5 inches taller than me. My big toe could barely reach the gas pedal. My right let has to be longer than my left after having to stretch it in order to drive for so many years.
- Without fail the rear view mirror fell off twice a year with the temperature changes during the spring and the fall. I learned to always carry a razor blade and super glue for a quick fix after the 5th time it happened.
- The left front headlight was taped in with packaging tape for the last 3 years. It's quite scary to have the light fall out going 65 on the interstate. I often had a roll of tape in the back seat - just in case it happened again.
- The heat was more like semi-warm air. I can't tell you how many winter nights I'd freeze on my way home from the bakery. I learned to carry an old sweater and used it as a blanket during those evenings.
- The driver's side lock couldn't unlock from the outside. I must have gotten over 100 crazy looks from people watching me climb through the passenger's side.
Now the car shopping begins! I'm probably one of the most indecisive people in the world so this could take a while.....