A few weeks ago I posed a question on Facebook: "I have an eggplant and don't know what to make with it. Any suggestions?"
People responded immediately with ideas like stuffed eggplant, moussaka, roasted eggplant on pasta, eggplant rollatini, and of course - eggplant Parmesan.
Last time we made eggplant parm we didn't want to finish it. This time, we had a real winner. It was plate of ooey-gooey-cheesy deliciousness!
Cheesy Eggplant Parmesan
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
1 large eggplant (or 2 smaller), thinly sliced
1 egg, beaten
1-2 cups bread crumbs
1 jar of spaghetti sauce (Bove's Garlic Lovers or San Marzano Tomato Basil were delicious choices)
3 garlic cloves
8 oz package of shredded mozzarella cheese (more for the cheese lovers)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cover baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Set up workstation: sliced eggplant, egg bowl, bread crumb bowl, baking sheet. Dip eggplants in egg and breadcrumbs before laying on baking sheet.
- Bake eggplant in oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, flip, and bake another 5 minutes.
- Cover the bottom of an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish with spaghetti sauce. Add a layer of eggplants, followed by half of cheese and all of garlic. Repeat by adding another layer of sauce, eggplant, and remaining cheese. Sprinkle dried basil on top.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
Serve with pasta and enjoy!